Church History and Architectural Features
St. Paul’s Church was founded in 1838, before Milwaukee was incorporated as a city, Wisconsin became a state and the Diocese of Wisconsin existed. Our worship combines the beauty of the Episcopal (Anglican) tradition and a warm welcome.
The property includes the church, a small park, a parking lot and a classic Cream City brick building. St. Paul’s building is an example of Richardsonian Romanesque ecclesiastical architecture, and was dedicated in 1884. It is built from red Lake Superior sandstone. The sanctuary of the church seats 430 people; the rest of the building houses a number of meeting rooms and St. Paul’s administrative offices. Renaissance Child Development Center operates in the building during the work week.
The church is home to the largest collection of Tiffany windows in the state of Wisconsin, some bearing the Tiffany signature. The largest window every created by the Tiffany Studio can also be found in the church. In late 1950, a fire did major damage to the church. The main body of the building was saved and most of the windows survived.
In 1845, St. Paul’s purchased a piece of land on the southwestern outskirts of Milwaukee and established Forest Home Cemetery. The property eventually grew to 200 acres. The cemetery and its chapel are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located at 2405 West Forest Home Avenue in Milwaukee.