Where history, worship, art, music and an embrace of diversity live on
St. Paul’s Church was founded in 1838, before Milwaukee was incorporated as a city, Wisconsin became a state and the Diocese of Milwaukee existed. Our worship combines the beauty of the Episcopal (Anglican) tradition and a warm welcome. Learn more about St. Paul’s rich history.
The congregation is honored to be stewards of our beautiful, landmark building and to share it with the community through worship, music and art events, and other uses, such as the Renaissance Child Development Center, which operates in the building on weekdays. (Interested in more information about the use of St. Paul’s for cultural and community events? Find it here.)
The property includes the church, a small park, a parking lot and a classic Cream City brick building. St. Paul’s building is an example of Richardsonian Romanesque ecclesiastical architecture, and was dedicated in 1884. It is built from red Lake Superior sandstone. The sanctuary of the church seats 430 people; the rest of the building houses a number of meeting rooms and St. Paul’s administrative offices. In addition to designing St. Paul’s, noted Milwaukee architect Edward Townsend Mix also designed Milwaukee’s landmark Mitchell Building and the residence of its original owner Alexander Mitchell, now the Wisconsin Club.
The church is home to the largest collection of Tiffany windows in the state of Wisconsin, some bearing the Tiffany signature. The largest window every created by the Tiffany Studio can also be found in the church. In late 1950, a fire did major damage to the church. The main body of the building was saved and most of the windows survived.
In 1845, St. Paul’s purchased a piece of land on the southwestern outskirts of Milwaukee and established Forest Home Cemetery. The property eventually grew to 200 acres. The cemetery and its chapel are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Now governed as an independent non-profit organization, with active ties to St. Paul’s, Forest Home is located at 2405 West Forest Home Avenue in Milwaukee.